December 21, 2007

UUGGHHH!!

We have never felt so helpless as we did that first couple of hours. Once Bauer woke up he was trying to cry, but couldn't quite figure out why he felt like crap, why his mouth hurt, and why all the noise and confusion was going on.

Please, if you have this done make sure the nurses have your child on something stronger than ordinary Tylenol. For some reason Bauer wasn't give Morphine or Codeine while in recovery. We didn't realize this until one of the nurses in his patient room told us. He was absolutely miserable and there was nothing either of us could do to help him. I can't put into words how much I wanted to scream for someone to help him because he was hurting so badly. Adam and I were both just tearing up trying to figure out what was going on. I'm sure it was a simple miscommunication, but make sure that you ask about it when you go. It made for a long couple of hours.
The nurses finally gave him some morphine and he settled down and went to sleep. This was around 8:00 p.m. He was pretty fussy throughout the night and wasn't very interested in eating. I kept wondering, "Are we seriously going to make it through this?,"This is only the first surgery. He has to do this again." I've never felt so powerless. It was probably one of the lowest points for us so far.
Adam and I both stayed in the room that night. The way our sleeping arrangements were I'm shocked we didn't have to be pulled off the couch by the 'Jaws of Life'. We were on a fold out about 2 feet wide laying side by side. But neither of us wanted to leave.




1 comment:

Darcy said...

Oh how sorry I am that you all had a horrible first night. I know exactly how it feels to feel so hopeless and not being able to make your baby feel better. {{{HUGS}}}

I'm really surprised they didn't give something stronger than Tylenol the first couple of days. I believe Rachel was given Morephine the first couple of days and then eventually switched to Tylenol with Coedine. There were times when in the hospital, we stacked both (giving at alternate times) so that there was constantly something in her system for pain.

NOTICE!

The archives start with the most recent events. You must read from bottom to top.